The research institute was founded by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences as “Oil Mining Research Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences” in 1957 and it was declared to solve the occurring problems of the Hungarian and international oil industry providing fundamental research. The name of the institute was changed in 1998 and the “Research Institute of Earth Sciences” name is used nowadays. The institute has a strong relation to the other departments of the Faculty of Earth Science and Engineering in both education and research. The most important basic research results are listed in the following:
The institute was a pioneer in the field of mining chemistry and the still ongoing researches are fundamental to develop this new interdisciplinary science in which the earth sciences, chemical – and chemical engineering sciences are integrated.